Thursday 1 January 2015

Kiko Smart Lip Pencil Review + Swatches




It's safe to say that 2014 was the year of the lips. Everything from lipstick colours and plumpers to more controversial trends, such as Kylie Jenner's pout. I'm always on the hunt for reasonably priced, good quality lip liners- but aren't we all? Kiko to me, is almost like a slightly better European version of ELF Cosmetics and has unbeatable prices for the quality provided. I roamed the Kiko Store in Guildford like a sex addict in Ann Summers, where I found beautifully pigmented shadows, vibrant lipsticks and most importantly, cheap lip liners. The colour range is very broad from dark plum purples to bright cherry reds, and amongst all the choices I might have even found a dupe for my holy grail MAC 'Soar' lip liner. I spent a total of £10 for four lip liners- bargain or what? Lets see what I think of them...

First off, I have to mention that these bargain liners are 1) ridiculously pigmented and 2) glide on the lips like cocoa butter to the skin. They don't quite have the stain power of MAC lip liners which I often like to wear alone, but are fantastic for applying underneath lipsticks. The formula is almost too smooth to believe and one that thing that makes these liners stand out, is that they are £2.50 each- yea you read right. You can't really go wrong with a price tag like that and considering the variation of shades in this range; well, why not?

My Chosen Four
Smart Lip Pencil '710 Rouge Noir', £2.50
A deliciously rich plum/ purple shade; something we could definitely see Rihanna sporting all year round. I chose this dark vampy shade because it swatches beautifully against the skin and seems to be a tone that will suit every skin colour. It's creamy and highly pigmented BUT be sure to moisturize your smackers before hand, because I did find that this colour in particular clings to the dryer parts of your lips- creating an uneven application.

Smart Lip Pencil '706 Classic Red', £2.50
So, I'm usually more of a deep red kind of gal, but with it basically being a New Year and my skin starting to appear even paler- I opted for a bright red colour that would be a match made in heaven for MAC's infamous 'Ruby Woo' lipstick. It has a very bright blueish tone that will make your pearly whites sparkle and your skin glow. This would look divine on a paler skin, but who's to say it won't look fab on a deeper complexion?

Smart Lip Pencil, '712 Rose Mauve', £2.50
Whilst in the Kiko store I came across two potential Kylie Jenner lip products, this being the lighter one. It has a more pinky tone to in comparison to the other one and again, glides on perfectly giving that 'your lips but better' vibe. This cheap and cheerful liner has the potiential to be my new favourite and it could possibly be a dupe for MAC 'Soar' lip liner. Scroll down to see them up both swatched!

Smart Lip Pencil '704 Brick Red', £2.50
Now we're still on that Kylie Jenner lip hunt, and that's when I found another shde a bit darker than the '712'. When swatched on camera this colour has a very orangey tone to it, that I hoped would in fact be more neutral and brows. It is still gorgeous on, but gives your 'my lips but better' look a more peachy tone- a bit like a darker, matte version of 'Peachstock' by MAC. This is actually going to be a gorgeous everyday colour for the summer and will look very complimentary with a peachy or nude on top. What do you guys think?

(left to right) 710, 706, 712, 704.

(left to right) 710, 706, 712, 704.

(left to right) MAC 'Soar' Lip Liner, Kiko '712' Lip Liner.

Overall I am very pleased with these bargain lip liners. They have great pay off and will without a doubt, become staples in my make-up bag! Have you guys tried anything from Kiko? If so what do you think? 

x

7 comments:

  1. I got into bold lipsticks last year and need to add some lip liners to my collection - these look great and are such a good price. Happy New Year
    www.tartanbrunette.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so fab for such a small price! Happy New Year to you also Hun! X

      Delete
  2. I'm in love with literally all these colors! And haha, gosh... Kylie Jenner's pout. What a metamorphose!

    Thanks so much for sharing these!
    http://littlegrimoire.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and commenting; means so much!

      Delete
  3. Oh my god, I was on the KIKO website and I put lip pencils in by basket. Then I searched for reviews, and that's how I came here. But I chose the exact four lip pencils! Creepy, right? Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike! Hope this was helpful, and you enjoy your liners :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete